Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year, New Challenges

When we arrive in Arizona right after Christmas, we surely do hit the ground running. We generally have a bit of a second Christmas with nieces and sisters, my brother’s birthday is Dec. 28, one great-niece has a January 1 birthday, a niece has a January 2, and then, of course, one of us hosts the family for a New Year’s Day bash. All fun. All involve a plethora of delicious food. Time to hit the gym. Big time.

But, as I already know, when you own a house, you also own all of the problems that come with home ownership. Yesterday we discovered that we have termites. Apparently, with all structures in Arizona, it’s not a matter of if you get termites, but when. We will have someone come out and look today, but, in the meantime, euwwww. I am thoroughly convinced last night as I lay in bed that I could hear them crunching! At least I could picture them, and that’s even worse. Oh well. Before I know it the problem will be solved and we will be onto the next house problem. At least it isn’t scorpions. Yet.

I have given a lot of thought about 2014 resolutions. I have read that the key to actually keeping the resolution is to be very specific. In other words, don’t say I am going to save more money in 2014; say I will put $25 every week into my savings account. So my general “I will be more generous, I will cook and eat healthier, I will be more prayerful" just don’t cut it.

My niece Kate (who will kill me if I don’t point out that she actually goes by Jojo, but will always be Kate to me) does an interesting thing when it comes to resolutions. Instead of drawing up her list each January 1, she does what she calls monthly challenges, and she makes them pretty difficult. After all, it’s only for a month, right? Yesterday it occurred to me that monthly challenges make more sense than meaningless yearly goals. So I guess you could say my new year’s resolution is to have monthly resolutions. Hmmmm.

Anyway, she assured me no challenge is too silly, so my first challenge will be to drink eight glasses of water every day this month. I drink virtually no water, and very little of anything else. I have three or four cups of coffee every morning and my glass of wine in the evening, and perhaps a sip or two of a diet cola if we go out to lunch. That’s pretty much it Folks. My son has said to me, “Mom, I don’t know how you even continue to live drinking so little fluid in a day!” But I have. For 60 years.

So there you have it. I will fill up a 64-oz. jug with water every day and by evening it will be gone. At least for a month. Kate promises when you do something for a month, it becomes a habit.

Here are some pictures of our feast yesterday:

One of the standing rib roasts on the grill (the other was roasted in the oven)…
My niece Brooke (left), my niece Jessie (with her head cocked), and their respective friends Alex and Jennie….
Bill carves the roast beasts, and he is a master carver!….
My two nieces Maggie and Kate. Maggie’s baby is due any minute now….
Our buffet…..
I’m going to have a glass of water. Then go to the bathroom. See ya.

Herbed Rib Roast from Epicurious.com

Ingredients
1 7-8 lb. prime rib roast (3-4 ribs)
1 T. whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 T. kosher salt
3 garlic cloves
1 t. chopped fresh thyme
1 t. chopped fresh rosemary
1 T. olive oil

Process
Grind peppercorns and salt to a powder in an electric coffee/spice grinder, then transfer to a mortar. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary, pound to a smooth paste with pestle. Stir in oil. Rub paste over roast. Transfer roast to a rack set in a small flameproof roasting pan. Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours.

To cook:
Let roast stand at room temperature 1 hour. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Roast beef in middle of oven 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and roast beef until a thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 110, 1-1/2 hours to 1-3/4 hours more. Transfer beef to a large platter and let stand, uncovered, 25 minutes. Meat will continue to cook, reaching about 130 for medium rare.

Nana’s Notes: Because when we all get together, we are a huge group, my sister (who hosted) had an enormous roast that she cut in two (three bones each). She marinated each the same way, but prepared one as above in the oven, and one on the grill. To grill, prepare your grill for indirect heat. Place an aluminum pan in the unheated area, put your rack over the pan, and place your roast on that area of the rack. Bring your grill to 375 degrees, and cook for about the same length of time. Don’t open your grill! Both were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment