Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Glorious Days

Since I haven’t been an AZ winter visitor for that long, it’s hard to know if there is “typical” January weather. I asked one of my nephews if the weather thus far is typical, and he said there really isn’t such a thing as typical January weather. It can be really chilly or it can be really nice.

What I will tell you is that thus far this Arizona winter has been magnificent. I don’t think the weather during the day has been lower than 65, and mostly it’s been in the high 60s to low 70s. It cools off at night, getting into the 40s. It has even hit 38 or 39 at night. I have, er, I mean I choose to turn on the heat first thing in the morning to just get the night chill out of the house.

Last January, we spent the first couple of weeks covering our more delicate (read: hibiscus) plants at night because it got below 32 a few times. We were not successful at saving them, and finally decided – since that brought our total hibiscus loss to 4 or 5 – to forgo purchasing more hibiscus even though we love them. They just don’t do well here. We thought we lost our bougainvillea last year, but take a look at this:
Native Arizonians say you can’t kill a bougainvillea. I think that might be true. It is in full bloom right now.

And just for kicks, here is the rosemary bush Jen and I planted when we first bought our house back in 2010.

We got it as a little 2-in plant at the grocery store. It clearly likes the Arizona weather and it’s sunny southeastern location in the yard.

I can’t wait until the mornings are a bit warmer so that we can take our coffee out onto our patio. And it does get nippy just as soon as the sun goes down. But boo hoo, right? In the meantime, I am glad that for the most part our friends and family in Colorado are having reasonably nice weather, at least now and again. I am sorry for our family in Vermont who pretty much never have nice winter weather, but I reckon they are used to it. And “nice winter weather” is a subjective phrase, no?

It is proported by our enthusiastic television weather folks that it will reach 75 or 76 the rest of the week. They stuck a cloud in tomorrow’s forecast, but I think that’s just to get us excited.

I miss the Bronco excitement that is undoubtedly taking place in Colorado, but we have our little celebration going here too.

Maybe I’ll dye my hair orange.







I was going to make a stir fry tonight, but decided the weather was too nice to not grill outside. So I will rub some olive oil on four chicken thighs, season with salt and pepper, squeeze some lemon over them, and grill them for 40 minutes or so. I will serve them with my stir fry vegetables and call it dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment