Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday Book Whimsy: Books I Want to Read in 2014

I am a compulsive reader. In 2013, I read 94 books. Darn. I wanted to hit an even 100. I shouldn’t have taken that time off to go to my grandmother’s funeral. (Oh, don’t judge. I’m just kidding.)

Whenever I’m at a book store, a library, Costco, or any other place that offers books, I have my pad of paper and a pencil (or if I’m feeling particularly high-tech, my notebook program on my telephone), on which I write the names of books that look interesting. That’s my Books to Consider list. I left many books unread this year on my Books to Consider list, despite my 94 books. Some I will transfer to my Books to Consider for 2014. I lost interest in the others. So many books, so little time.....

Here is a list of five books that I intend to read in 2014.

Where’d You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple. I’ve never read a thing by this author, but I love the sound of the relationship between Bernadette and her daughter Bee.

Ordinary Grace, by William Kent Krueger. Also never read anything by this author, but I tried to push this book to my book club and they ignored me, mostly because we are supposed to only read books that are in paperback, and right now it is hard cover. Also, it’s a mystery, which doesn’t impress most of my fellow members.

The Light in the Ruins, by Chris Bohjalian. I haven’t read Bohjalian for a long time, but this book intrigues me primarily because of its Tuscan location. Another mystery, but one of the multigenerational kind that I find so enjoyable.

Edge of Eternity, by Ken Follett. The third book in the Century Trilogy, after Fall of Giants and Winter of the World. Loved, loved, loved the first two. Edge of Eternity takes place during the 50s and 60s, and the characters are the ancesters of the characters in the first two books. Lengthy, meaty books that I can’t put down.This one doesn't come out until later this year.

A Dual Inheritance, by Joanna Herson. Another multigenerational novel about two friends and a secret.






For good measure….
Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline. The story of a friendship between a very old woman and a young girl, based on historical fact -- there really was such a thing as an orphan train.

The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Stout. A novel by the Pulitzer-winning author about a family of siblings in disarray who come together to help another family.



I'm sure there will be dozens of other books that will come to my attention this year -- some that I don't even know about yet. There always is.

What books do you want to read in 2014? Share them with me via comments or nanas.whimsies.email@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Two I can think of are (like you) Edge of Eternity, and Identical, by Scott Turow.
    I read 47 books from June-December. I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete