Monday, January 13, 2014

Hot Diggity, Dog Diggity, Boom What You Do To Me

When I was a small girl, we had a set of World Book Encyclopedias. (Those of you under the age of 30 probably don’t even know what I’m talking about. You probably think I just misspelled Wikipedia.) In one of these encyclopedias, there was a section about AKC-registered dogs. I simply POURED over this part of the book. I learned everything I could about the various breeds. It was fascinating to me. I’m not sure why. At that point I don’t think we even owned a dog. I just was so interested in the different dog breeds.

This interest carried forward to my adulthood. I still am fascinated by dog breeds and how they differ. Each year I watch the Eukanuba Dog Show and the Westminster Dog Show. I love to listen to the moderators talk about what a particular breed should look like and on what exactly they are judged. And I, of course, am always reminded about the hilarious movie, Best in Show, as I listen to the moderators.

This past week I read Rin Tin Tin: The Life and Legend, by Susan Orleans (look for the book review on Friday). For those of you who are too young to remember Rin Tin Tin, he was a German Shepherd that made movies and television programs long, long ago. In this book, Orleans talked a lot about the development of the breed and how the dogs bred to be show dogs look different than a regular family pet. As I read this, I again began thinking about the difference in dog breeds. I decided then and there that attending a dog show was on my bucket list.

Well, why wait for the Westminster Dog Show? I googled and learned that there was a dog show right here in the Phoenix area this past weekend. I had promised myself adventures this winter. Why not go?

Bill politely told me he would be happy to go with me, but his smile looked faked and there seemed to be what I could only construe to be terror in his eyes and he didn’t show a lot of enthusiasm. My sister Bec, however, is always game for an adventure, and she agreed to go with me to the Great Arizona Dog Show. We went on Saturday.

It was great fun, and here’s some of what I learned.

The people who show dogs (at least the ones at this dog show) were not peculiar or snobby at all, unlike the movie. In fact, they couldn’t have been friendlier to us, and were absolutely delighted to answer our questions and let us pet their dogs.

Each dog owner thinks his or her breed is the best. They’re gracious about other people’s dogs, but you can tell they simply can’t imagine why anyone would want to own anything besides a Cocker Spaniel (or a Newfoundland, or a Beagle, or an Afghan Hound, or a Border Collie).

If you are really in the know, you don’t call it the Westminster Dog Show, you call it “The Garden” as in "We're sure to take first place at the Garden next year."

Each breed has a hallmark. A hallmark is the one thing that MUST be present in a breed for it to be competitive. For example, the proud owner of a Newfoundland said the breed’s hallmark is its gentle temperament. If the dog looks perfect, but has a less than sweet disposition, it’s a no-go.

We saw dogs ranging from the tiniest Chihuahua to the grandest Bull Mastiff, and all sizes in between. We saw slobbering hounds, prissy Poodles, and the friendliest little Jack Russell puppies that you can imagine. See?

I can’t help but wonder how the judges, particularly those judging best in show, can compare the different breeds and
come up with a winner. By the way, the winner of this particular show was the Pomeranian. A fluffy bit of orange fur if you ask me. Which you didn’t. And why I’m not a judge…..

I’m a Miniature Schnauzer gal myself.

Arf.

No comments:

Post a Comment