Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Smooth Sailing

Today it is like the heavens broke loose and the rain just keeps on coming. I love rainy days; just wouldn’t want them every day. But a steady rainfall following weeks of dry, hot weather feels just right.

So this morning as I thought about what to make for breakfast on this chilly morning, what do you think came to my mind? A steamy hot bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, blueberries and cream? Bacon and eggs, with home fried potatoes? A pan of freshly-baked cinnamon rolls?

Nope. This morning I made smoothies.

Smoothies don’t exactly equate with chilly, rainy days. Still, I had all of this fruit that was going to go to waste if I didn’t use it soon. And yogurt that was coming alarmingly close to its pull date (buying Greek yogurt by the case from Costco seems like such a good idea at the time).

Smoothies are easy, healthy, and taste like a treat. So smoothies it was.

I simply fill my blender with frozen berries, a couple of nectarines, a banana, some peach-mango juice, and two containers of Greek yogurt. Some people add spinach. My husband would not in a million years, ever, ever drink a green smoothie. So there. No spinach.
(I did, however, add a few tablespoons of Benefiber, something 20- or 30-somethings would not have to do. That’s all I’ll say about that.)

Pour my decidedly PINK fruit smoothie into a pretty glass and call it breakfast. Should I have chilled soup for lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment