Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday Book Whimsy: A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet

I’m sure I commit one of the seven deadly sins on a regular basis, especially gluttony and sloth. In fact, I probably committed the sin of gluttony last night when I had a second piece of the apple cake (see yesterday’s post for the recipe).

And I definitely committed the sin of envy over and over this week as I read Sophie Hudson’s wonderful book A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet. I want to write like Sophie Hudson. In fact, I want to BE Sophie Hudson.

Ms. Hudson’s book (I would like to call her Sophie because after reading the book, and after reading her almost-daily blog Boomama now for a while, I feel like we are friends) is a collection of stories about her quirky and delightful southern family. The stories are, seriously, laugh-out-loud (do I have to say LOL?) funny. And yet, never mean-spirited. Ms. Hudson just has a way of looking at situations and finding the humor and, well, humanness. I want to know these people. I already feel like they are my family too.

Obviously a deeply spiritual person, I also like the fact that Hudson is not a bit afraid to talk about the role of God in her life. I think many authors would shy away from this, afraid that it would diminish the audience. I think, on the contrary, it should enhance Hudson’s audience because her words are not preachy but so clearly come from her heart. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let the fact that Hudson talks about her faith stop anyone from reading this book. You will be missing out on some wonderful writing.

I very often am in awe of an author's writing. Hudson's book certainly isn't the first to make me envious. However, I think I am more aware of her writing because she is a blogger, just as I am. Her blog has led to this book, which I clearly think is excellent. It gives me hope.

Kudos to Hudson for concluding the book with all of those yummy recipes. I will definitely try some of them in my quest for the perfect-food-that-will-almost-certainly-close-up-my arteries-permanently.

I hope that A Little Salty… will become a best seller and that there will be more to come from Sophie Hudson. In the meantime, I will work on my envy issue. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I love Sophie's writing as well. Page 42.... I've read that story 10 times!

    ReplyDelete