Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Plenty

Up until about the time I got married, I spent most Thanksgiving Days at Mom and Dad’s house. In or around 1992, when I got my “instant, just add love” big family, and, more importantly, a house with two ovens and a sizable dining room, we began spending Thanksgivings here.

My sister who lives in Fort Collins (about an hour north of here) and her family would generally come to celebrate with us. My other sister and my brother both lived far away. For a couple of years my mom and dad would join us. With Mom’s help, we could put out a pretty good feast. But after she died in 1995, I recall my sister and me sort of standing in the kitchen looking at each other like the oft-mentioned deer in the headlights, saying, “Holy cow, what do we do now?”

We muddled through the first couple of holidays, and then it became easier. And it also began growing. Kids started bringing friends to the table. Family members from afar would join us. At the same time, Jen and I were getting in the swing of things and handling it all quite well. We put a pretty good meal on the table and everyone enjoyed the holiday festivities.

There have been some memorable Thanksgiving dinners at my house. Somewhere around 1999, for the first (but not only) time, my entire family was present at my table. That meant siblings and nieces and nephews from as far away as Arizona and Northern Virginia, with a few friends thrown in, as well as the usual suspects. I don’t recall the exact number, but it was at least 30. I said earlier that I had a sizeable dining room, but seeings as my name isn’t Mrs. Astor, my dining room isn’t that sizeable. And my table only stretches to fit 12, and that’s only if we are really good friends.

We borrowed banquet tables from the company where I worked, as well as 20 or so folding chairs. We moved furniture out of the living room and set up the tables in that room, in a U shape. We managed to all fit around the table, with my dad at the center of the bottom of the U. He led us in grace, and as I looked around at my amazing family, I really felt gratitude to God. Since then, we have had several large gatherings, and have always found room at the table for everyone. The year before my father died, much of my family from Virginia and Arizona were able to celebrate with us. I recall that year we had a very light snowfall the day before Thanksgiving, and the Arizona gang couldn’t have been happier. That was the year, perhaps, that my now-10-year-old granddaughter asked to lead us in grace, and she stood on her chair so as to make sure we could all see her!

But inevitably, the torch is passed. Last year Thanksgiving moved from our house to a son’s house. It’s not something I think you plan, but at some point it just feels right to let the kids take over. We don’t desert them; everyone brings our fair share of offerings. This year our Vermont family is joining us, and so the gathering will be near 25 people or so, nearly half who are kids. There will be room for everyone at their table as well.

I am thankful for so many things for I have been truly blessed over the years. But this time of year I am most thankful for my family – our four children, their spouses, and all nine of our grandchildren.

And, I learned recently that in May, we will be blessed with our 10th grandchild! Now that’s something special for which to be thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment