Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nana Love

I never asked my mom the question directly, but I assume she liked being a mother. However, I KNOW she liked being a grandmother. You can see her pride and her love in this picture of Mom and Dad with my nephew and sister on the day of my nephew's First Communion.

We are all many things. For example, I am a Catholic, an American, a Coloradan, a sister, a wife, a mother, and many other things. I enjoy all of my various roles. But unquestionably being a grandmother ranks high when considering what I like and do best.

I love all of my grandchildren. They all have their own unique personalities. Shockingly, I think they are all the smartest, funniest, cutest children on this earth. Each one of them.

Indulge me while I tell you a funny story about my precocious 3-year-old granddaughter Mylee (the same spitfire who wouldn’t brush her teeth in an earlier blog post). Yesterday morning her mother was hunting for the missing Mylee, and finally found her, totally naked, out on their deck enjoying Colorado’s unseasonably warm weather. “I’m hot,” she explained. She then came into the house and told her mother she needed a scarf. Apparently she understands, even at that early age, that scarves are the perfect accessory for any outfit.

I don’t think there is really anything quite like being a grandmother. My mother definitely understood this as well. Like me, she thought all of her grandchildren walked on water. As an example, when my son didn’t make his high school basketball team, it was really all we could do to keep her from marching over to the high school and making the coach aware of his mistake. She would have done the same for any of her grandchildren.

Mom died at the much-too-early age of 69. Though she has been gone for over 18 years, I miss her every day. I no longer mistakenly pick up the phone to tell her about something, but I very often am sad that I can’t. The story about Mylee is a good example. It would have made her laugh.

I take my role of Nana very seriously. I have very vivid and pleasant memories of the time I spent with my grandmother, whom I loved with my whole heart. I have always vowed to provide that same unconditional love to all of my grandkids so that they will remember me with joy, just as my son and all of my nieces and nephews remember their nana.


I often wonder where my mother got her recipes. She probably got many from magazines, and I know she got plenty of recipes from her sisters and sisters-in-law. Her recipe box also holds many recipes she gleaned from the recipe boxes of her children. I have no clue, however, from where this recipe came. She made beef stroganoff often when I was growing up, and it was delicious. My brother doesn’t even have to hesitate for an instant when asked about his favorite Mom-recipe.

Mom’s Beef Stroganoff (exactly as written on her recipe card)

Cut 1 lb round steak into 3X1 inch strips. Brown strips in 2 tbs shortening in large skillet. Add ¼ C cut-up onion, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Blend in 2 tbs flour, then 1½ C tomato juice and, if desired, 4 oz can mushroom stems and pieces, drained. Cover and cook over low heat 1 hour until tender. Stir in a mixture of 1 small can evaporated milk and 1 tbs Realemon. Heat until steaming but do not boil. Serve over cooked noodles or rice.

Nana’s Notes: 1 small can evaporated milk = one 5-oz can. As with yesterday’s recipe, Mom always used the least expensive cut of round steak – thin piece of meat. My brother insists it tastes better than using a more expensive cut of beef. Though her recipe says it can be served with noodles or rice, I never remember a single time that she didn’t serve it over rice. I can’t imagine serving it any other way! Tonight I served it with a bottle of wine called Middle Sister, perfect for me as I am a middle sister!

2 comments:

  1. I liked both the meal and the wine. No wonder I like your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this dish often for my family when my kids were growing up. I always used fresh mushrooms and threw them in when sautéing the beef and onions. Mom always poured the evaporated milk and lemon juice in a small coffee mug while the meat was browning so the cream had time to sour. This mixture takes the place of sour cream. I wonder if sour cream was hard to find at grocery stores in the sixties. Whenever I make this dish I pour the milk and lemon juice in a coffee cup just like Mom did!

    ReplyDelete