Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pumpkin Schmumpkin

I like pumpkin pie. In fact, all things considered, it’s probably my favorite kind of pie. Homemade pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream, well, it’s just delicious.

And I don’t even mind pumpkin muffins, or pumpkin bread, or even pumpkin roll. But I guess I just am not a big fan of the everything-pumpkin that happens about this time every year.

I have to be careful so that I don’t come across as just crabby. I began complaining to my niece about my weariness of all things pumpkin and she told me she is so very happy this time of year because she can find pumpkin muffins and pumpkin lattes and pumpkin pancakes. So I recognize that this is just a matter of personal taste.

Still, at Bath and Body Works, there is a display of candles and body creams and fragrances that
include Blueberry Pumpkin Patch and Pumpkin Pecan Waffles and Pumpkin Apple and Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin and Pumpkin Cupcake and Pumpkin Carving. Can Pumpkin Cupcake really smell that much different than Pumpkin Pecan Waffles? And frankly, after carving a pumpkin, I can’t wait to get that mess cleaned up because I think it smells really bad. I burn a citrus candle to get rid of that smell.

I have seen recipes for pumpkin chili and pumpkin alfredo and pumpkin grilled cheese and pumpkin deviled eggs and (this one’s hard for me to even write) pumpkin vinaigrette. Just not appealing to
me. It reminds me that many years ago I made a pumpkin soup for my first course at Thanksgiving dinner, and it just didn’t go well. Maybe that accounts for my negative bias.

So, I look forward to a time (and very soon, judging from the early appearance of Christmas decorations at Target, Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Michael’s) when we will, instead, be doing everything peppermint. Now that’s a fragrance and taste I can get my nose and taste buds around.

The preceding blog post is not endorsed by Google, nor a single member of my family.




1 comment:

  1. I find the difference in fragrance between Pumpkin Cupcake and Pumpkin Pecan Waffle quite staggering! Pumpkin ravioli anyone?

    ReplyDelete